Sunday 20 April 2014

Guilty, once again, of bloggy neglect.  Sorry folks!  

Now as  the house fills with the smell of boiling turmeric...........but more of that at the end.

And now for a Christmas secret (that is I couldnt post when making this stuff cos the family would see.

  We have a largish family, four children which makes four stockings, then six grandchildren (six more stockings), then there's the extra stockings for visitors on Christmas day, plus a few spare just in case.........  My ingenuity is tested every year!

You've heard me sing the praises of the Star Quilters of Warrandyte in the past.  Well SQW Jill rocked up one Wednesday with a beautiful fabric ball she'd made from a pattern off someone else who had a pattern from.......as is the sharing custom with quilters.  Perfect I thought, soft balls for the children, pin cushions for the adult ladies.  Even better I'd remembered seeing it in a book I'd acquired a couple of years ago.



This beautiful book "Omiyage" by Kumiko Sudo is full of patterns for keepsake style gifts.  Not only was I able to make balls but also some very cute little bags.  Google this book for where to buy.   I did see a copy in "Kazari" in South Yarra - great excuse to browse through scrumptious fabrics.


Well being me, I became obsessed with these balls (do I hear a laugh and a sigh from the WSQers).  It was just like piecing a quilt in 3D- each new combination of fabrics created a different pattern. FASCINATING!!!!!!

So here's some photos, not sure how many I made but I got so carried away I completely forgot to photograph the rest!






This ball is made from small bits and pieces. I have a habit of picking up bits and pieces  of fabric from the "specials" at Victorian Textiles when I drop in for threads or a bolt of fabric or batting.

All these balls were made from  ranges they had last year. Their fabrics are a lovely quality (and if you're a quilter lend themselves well to "fussy" cutting).



Originally I thought "they look hard so I'll just make one for the littlest, and then maybe one for the baby soon to arrive"........












But then fascinated by the many possible combinations of fabric and obsession I started and couldnt stop- do I hear "here we go again" from my lovey WSQers?



So the next attempt, a vague hint at a "golden snitch"
for a young Harry Potter fan.

Then for "purple is my favourite colour"

Then a fish for a three yo.



Then obsession with line and shape and very fussy cutting


and of course buttons


I just love each different fan in the brown and gold fabric


then the unexpected meeting of the gold lines


 then a completely different mood 



Oh dear you're saying, how many more are there, well lots, but in the Christmas rush I forgot photographs.  Do I hear a sigh of relief from you?

Why fill the kitchen with the smell of boiling turmeric and cotton - because  I'm taking a class (two days on two weekends) in making a lampshade and a cushion from fabric made from "natural" dyes embellished with fabric paints and some other surprises.

As I'll be working from a real kitchen I'm  testing kitchen safe ideas - not edible of course and separate pans but ok to boil up in a kitchen.  

Just imagine, going home with a lampshade and a cushion covered in fabric you've created!  Here's the class....



And now for the last photo


until next time.......


No comments:

Post a Comment